Ahmed Shah's Mosque
Although small but very attractive, Ahmed Shah mosque lies west of Bhadra citadel. The mosque was built in 1414 A.D. by Ahmed Shah, the founder of the city. It is believed that the ruler built this mosque on the site of a Hindu temple, using some parts of the temple in its construction.
This exclusive mosque was a place of worship for nobles and royal blood. The 'Mehrabs' (prayer halls) here, have been ornately designed with black and white marbles. There is a separate place of worship for women. Towards the north east corner, upstairs, 'Zenana' is the women chamber for worship.
The tombs of Ahmed Shah and his queens lay outside the eastern gate of the Jama Masjid. This edifice is one of the first mosque in Ahmedabad and is a must visit.