Madras War Cemetery
The Madras War Cemetery was set up in 1952 by the Imperial War Graves Commission to pay tribute to the valiant men and women who fought and died in the Second World War. The commisin that looks after the cemetry is popularly known as the "Commonwealth War Graves Commission" (CWGC) and in partnership with the Indian Government.
The cemetry bears the burial place of 855 people from the Common Wealth forces that died in the war commencing from the year 1939 to 1945. Besides, the graves of the people that died in the war there are three more graves who did not succumb in the war.
The entrance is marked by the Stone of Remembrance with inscriptions from the Book of Ecclesiasticus 'Their Name Liveth For Evermore'. The other memorial in the cemetry consists of what is popular as Cross of Sacrifice. The Cross of Sacrifice has an octagonal base bearing a bronze sword upon its shaft. These memorials are symbolic of all the cemetries that are under CWGC.