Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart
Here’s another church designed by Medd and by an odd coincidence, again the result of an architectural competition. Across the road from Bangla Sahib Gurudwara just off Connaught Place, the Sacred Heart Cathedral stands between two of Delhi’s finest schools, St Columba’s and Convent of Jesus and Mary.
Built in 1930-34, it closes the vista from the North Secretariat at a strategic intersection between Connaught Circus and Raisina Hill. It is a bold, elegant design in the Lutyens tradition with an Italianate south front enriched by an oval mosaic cartouche of St Francis. In the same colour scheme as Medd’s earlier Cathedral Church of the Redemption, this one is a definite improvement.
Location:- Near Connaught Place, New Delhi.