Mormugao Fort is fort near the internationally famous Mormugao Harbour was built to protect the harbour situated near the Vasco da Gama town. Its work started in 1624. It covered an area of six miles in circumference, contained towering bulwarks, three magazines, five prisons, a chapel and quarters for the guard. It had 53 guns and a garrison with 4 officers, and was an important fortress on the western coast. However, except the chapel and a portion of the boundary wall, little is left of this fort.