This legendary fort once famous for its diamond market was the capital of the Qutub Shahi Kings who ruled the surrounding territories from 1518 A.D. to 1687 A.D. The fort originally belonged to the Kakatiya’s who ruled the neighbouring areas from Warangal, their capital city. They ceded it to Bahamanis, who changed its mud construction into masony from the Bahamanis, Golconda passed into the hands of their successors, the Qutub Shahis. The most remarkable feature of the fort are its acoustics, where by a clapping of hands at the entry gate can be heard at the top of the fort which is 61 meters high. Water was raised by and ingenious system through laminated clay pipes and Persian wheels to cool the roof gardens and high walled palaces.