Just 100 yards South West of Charminar is the Mecca Masjid, the largest mosque of South India.
The constructions of this mosque was started by Sultan Muhammad Qutub Shah in 1617, the work continued during the reign of Abdullah Qutub Shah and Abul Hassan Tana Shah and was completed in 1694 by the Moghal Emperor Aurangzeb. The mosque is one of the largest in the country and can accommodate ten thousand people at a time during the prayer.
The hall is 67 metres long, 54 metres wide and 23 metres high. The roof is supported by 15 arches, 5 on each of the three sides. The colonnades and entrance arches are made of a single slab of granite. It took about 8000 Masons and labourers and was completed in 77 years.
It is believed that when the foundation stone was being laid, Sultan Muhammad Qutub Shah invited all the devout religious elders of the city. It was announced that the king wanted the foundation stone to be laid by one who had never missed his prayers. None came forward, therefore Sultan Muhammad himself laid the foundation for he had never missed even his midnight prayer since the age of 12.
Location : Near Charminar, Hyderabad